For news about S3 strategy of North-East Region visit dedicat page to new RIS3 project implemented in collaboration with JRC: Economic growth and governance in North-East Region with the support of European Commission.
Smart Specialization Strategy of the North-East Region – Tool for orientation and coordination of funding programmes dedicated to regional economic development
Specific objectives of the project
- Identification and promotion of the methods for valorization of competitive advantages of the region through elaboration of Smart Specialization Strategy of the North-East Region for 2014-2020 programming period;
- Development of a regional mechanism for correlation of the intervention fields proposed for economic development during 2014-2020 and included into the North-East Regional Development Plan, Smart Specialization Strategy of the North-East Region, National Plan for Research and Innovation respectively National Strategy for Smart Specialization of Romania.
Scope of the project
During the past 2-3 decades, the regional competitiveness became one of the key concepts used in regional economic planning process, a complex phenomenon referring to the capacity of a region, by comparison with others, to form and deliver a social and economic environment capable to support accelerated creation of added value.
To this end, the smart specialization addresses the difficult issue of prioritization and taking decisions for allocation of resources and offering the possibility to demonstrate which are the most promising fields of activity in the light of future regional development because this process could reflect what does a region has as most precious assets in terms of research-development and innovation.
The project’s scope was to elaborate a Smart Specialization Strategy of the North-East Region, a very necessary tool for carrying out efficient investments (results/costs ratio) and effective investments (impact/objective ratio) in the field of research and innovation. As a result of the North-East Smart Specialization Strategy the followings were stated:
- Priority fields where the investments are to be directed in the next 2014-2020 programming period;
- The needed framework for development of a highly performance system of production, research and innovation at regional level.
6 months, starting in May 2013
Total project budget: Lei 84.125
Technical Assistance Operation Programme 2007-2013
Priority Axis 1 – Support for implementation of structural instruments and programmes’ coordination
Major Field of Intervention 1.1 – Support for the management and implementation of structural instruments.
Smart Specialization Strategy
Smart Specialization Strategy of the North-East Region was finalized in 2013 and approved by the North-East Regional Development Board in December 2014. The strategy is correlated with the North-East Regional Development Plan 2014-2020.
The final version of Smart Specialization Strategy of the North-East Region:
Peer review, Novisad, 10-11th of April 2014
The objectives of this workshop were:
- To allow regions from EU Member States / candidate countries to meet their counterparts, European Commission representatives, academic experts and others to discuss common points regarding smart specialization.
- To allow regions and countries involved to analyze each work on S3 strategies.
- To better understand how to embed transnational cooperation within S3 strategies.
- To adapt the method of peer review analysis in the specific context of the Danubian countries and regions.
The results of this workshop were summarized in a feedback report compiled by JRC Sevilla experts.