Institution of the European Union
The function of European Union is based, mainly, on five institutions:
- European Parliament
- Council of the European Union
- European Commission
- Court of Justice of European Communities
- European Court of Auditors
The European Council, composed of the 27 head of member states and the European Commission president is considerate as a <quasi-institution>, although is established by The Constitutional treaty, it don’t have the advantages of the above 5 institutions like its own staff, budget and the legal powers.
Beside this institution there are and organisms fulfilling specialized tasks:
- Financial institutions: European Central Bank and European Investments Bank
- Advisory Bodies: Committee of the Regions, Economic and Social Committee and Political and Security Committee
- Decentralized bodies: Agencies of the European Communities – with the role to implement particular policies
- European Ombudsman – investigates complaints of maladministration by EU institutions.
Council of the European Union
Court of Justice of European Communities
European Court of Auditors